Catechism and Adult Religious Education
Religious instruction and education, in the history and worship of the Orthodox Church, are high priorities in our parish. Bible studies, religious outings, retreats and other activities are offered throughout the year for adults and young people interested in learning more about Holy Scripture and the Holy Apostolic tradition. Contact the Church Office or check our Calendar for more information on upcoming opportunities to deepen your faith.
During the season of Great Lent, the beautiful Great Compline service is sung every Monday evening, followed by an inspirational and informative talk given by clergy and/or knowledgeable individuals who live in Western New York. Interested visitors are always welcome, so join us if you can!
The Holy Spirit Philoptochos Society is committed to helping the poor and serving our Orthodox church wherever and whenever the need arises. “Philoptochos” means “friend of the poor,” but the term encompasses more than just those poor in financial resources. The organization aims to improve deficits of spirit, health, companionship, emotional stability and fellowship.
In accordance with The Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, our mission is:
- To aid the poor, hungry, aged, sick, unemployed, orphaned, imprisoned, widowed, handicapped and victims of disasters.
- To undertake the burial of impoverished persons.
- To offer assistance to anyone who may need the help of the Church through fund raising efforts.
- To promote the charitable, benevolent, and philanthropic purposes of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America through instructional programs, presentations, lectures, seminars and other educational resources.
- To preserve and perpetuate Orthodox Christian concepts and the Orthodox Christian family, and through them, to promote the Greek Orthodox Faith and traditions, in accordance with its doctrines, canons, discipline, divine worship, usages and customs.
- To promote participation in the activities of the Greek Orthodox community with the cooperation of the Parish Priest and the Parish Council.
The Holy Spirit Philoptochos Society provides our members with opportunities to express love and Christian charity locally, nationally and internationally. Our members continuously offer their hard work and enthusiasm to support the ministries at Holy Spirit Greek Orthodox Church and to create events that improve the fellowship within our church community.
The Holy Prophet Sophonias (Zephaniah); Our Righteous Father John, Bishop and Hesychast; Holy Martyrs Agapius and Seleucius; Theodore, Archbishop of Alexandria; Angelis the New Martyr; Karpos the Hieromartyr